Case Study Challenge
Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust (BSMHFT) commissioned maxwell stanley to clinically code all trust activity for an annual fixed cost aligned to their clinical coding budget. Previously, clinicians coded the admissions but the use of qualified clinical coders was deemed necessary in order to see an improvement in the quality and depth of clinical coding.
Case Study Approach
maxwell stanley directly employed Clinical Coding Consultants code all of BSMHFT admitted activity each month, with the coding completed in advance of BSMHFT activity data set submission deadlines.
BSMHFT are able to rely on exceptionally high standards of coding as our Clinical Coding Consultants benefit from career development, on-going training and continual assessment of coding quality and efficiency. Through our guarantee to code all activity within budget, we also eliminate any recruitment and retention issues and the risk of staff absence.
Case Study Outcome
- Improved clinical coding audit score from IG Toolkit Level 2 to IG Toolkit Level 3
- All activity coded to monthly data submission deadlines
- Assured quality and depth of clinical coding by qualified coders with experience of Mental Health coding
- Increased quality of datasets used for contracting and performance purposes
- Clinical coding service provided to budget with guaranteed volume of activity
- Elimination of recruitment and retention issues and risk of staff absence